- Submissions may consist of any combination of written or visual matter.
- All submissions must be between 20 to 40 pages in length.
- All submissions must be in the form of a single Word document.
- Submissions should be emailed as an attachment to:
- A cover letter, short bio & mailing address must be included in the body of the email. Any submission consisting of a blank email or an attachment in a format other than a Word document will not be considered.
- Put “Sequoia House Chapbook Prize” in the subject of your email to make sure it is received.
- Publication is its own reward.
- Publication will consist of a limited-edition run of 100 numbered and signed copies, the first 50 of which will be sold online and the second 50 of which will be distributed to San Francisco Bay Area bookstores. The author will get three free copies of the book and will be able to purchase further copies at an approximately 40% discount. Unfortunately, we cannot offer any monetary award at this time.
- Following the initial run, an indefinite run of unnumbered copies may be printed in accordance with demand. A PDF eBook may also be published. Additionally, an extremely limited run of 5 fine, hardbound, “Art Book Collection” (ABC) editions may be produced to be purchased by collectors.
- Finally, depending on the author’s area of residence (again, the Sequoia House Chapbook Prize is open to all people, regardless of where they live), public readings at one or more Bay Area venues may be held.
- It is possible an unofficial runner-up will be privately contacted. If any issues should arise with the first-pick winner, this unofficial runner-up may then be made the official winner. Furthermore, the unofficial runner-up may be offered publication outside of the auspices of the Sequoia House Chapbook Prize.
June 1, 2017June 9, 2017
- The prizewinning chapbook will be published August 1, 2017.
S e n d u s y o u r b e s t w o r k .
W e ‘ l l d o o u r b e s t
- If it is judged that no submission merits the prize, Sequoia House reserves the right to declare no winner.
- From the time of submission to the time a decision is made, no modifications may be made to your submission. If you are selected, we will collaborate with you on further editorial and design work.
- Only one submission per person per period.
- If you would like to withdraw your submission, simply email us again asking to do so.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed.
- Individual pieces may have been previously published, in which case an acknowledgement must be provided in your submission. Pieces may not, however, have been previously collected in any form (e.g., a book, a chapbook, a published portfolio, etc.).
- All rights to submitted and published work remain those of their authors. Should we publish you work, we only require that you do not publish it elsewhere in a substantially equivalent form (i.e., as another chapbook; it is yours, however, to publish in a larger collection or as individual pieces to periodicals). We also require acknowledgement in any subsequent publication.
- It is the sole responsibility of the submitter to make sure she or he has any rights necessary for publishing a given work (e.g., with respect to translations or images).
- None of your personal information will be shared with any other parties without your specific pre-approval.
- All terms and conditions of the Sequoia House Chapbook Prize are subject to revision at any time.
- Sequoia House does not solicit work making any defamatory, libelous or fraudulent representations.